Review: Alpkit Gourdon 20 Backpack

Alpkit-Gourdon-20.backpack.trail-running.mountain.out-there-on-dartmoor.
I've had this bag for the better part of two years now and have been meaning to write a review once I had "worn it in a bit" and that has been the problem. After two years of being my main off road running bag, my every day work bag and my just about everything else bag it still looks pretty much new!
Alpkit-Gourdon-20. lightweight-backpack.outhereondartmoor.
My first experience of dry bag style backpacks was an Exped Cloudburst which, although super light stood up well to a scrambling tour of Sardinia. I expected a similar product from the mail order company Alpkit and, given the relatively low price of the Gourdon 20 I anticipated that the materials and construction may have been less than bombproof, how wrong I was!

Alpkit-Gourdon-20.backpacking.wild-camping.
The pack fabric is robust with a waterproof  finish on the inside. The material easily withstands abrasion and scrapes from rock and undergrowth. Clean lines and minimal finish add to the versatility. The roll top and toggle closure is secure and allows for a degree of over and under packing while two mesh pockets and stretchy compression cord allow for waterproofs, drinks and other essentials to be close at hand while on the move.






A small removable mat stiffens the back and breathable mesh shoulder straps work well with adjustable sternum and waist straps to make sure the pack stays tight and tidy on your back.








This pack is to me a little piece of perfection, lightweight at 470 grams it is form and function encapsulated. In a funny kind of way it reminds me of the Karrimor hot earth sack of old but updated for this century's adventures, robust and dependable but lighter, more versatile and faster moving.

Overall Verdict:  It's a no brainer, only decision is which colour you get.

Thank you for reading, please feel free to comment or subscribe.

For upcoming events please click here

Comments

Popular Posts